The first painting in the Wizard of Oz Collection by Thomas Kinkade
Embellished Canvas Framed
Canvas Size: 18x27
Framed Size: 28x37
“In the first Oz painting we see Dorothy and friends as they view the fabled Emerald City for the first time. The familiar cast of characters is here – Dorothy, Cowardly Lion, Tin Man, Scarecrow -- as well as the Wicked Witch of the West, scary Winged Monkeys, and of course the Munchkins. We can even see Glinda the Good Witch floating in her transparent sphere of light, as though to bless the journey of the travelers.”
Did you know?
In June of 2008 The Wizard of Oz was ranked #1 on the American Film Institute’s list of the 10 greatest films in the Fantasy genre. A recent study claimed that this is the most watched movie in film history, largely due to the number of television screenings each year as well as video which has enabled children of every generation to see it.
Key Image Facts
- Dorothy Discovers the Emerald City is the first work of what will become Thom’s “Oz Octet”.
- Thom utilized his imagination to journey beyond the imagery of the original film and recreated how Oz might have appeared employing modern special effects.
- In the painting you’ll notice that Toto is the only character that reacts to the Wicked Witch, as the others are distracted by the awing influence of the Emerald City as they view it for the first time.
- Dorothy Discovers the Emerald City, as with Thom’s Disney collection, attempts to capture the quintessence of the complete film in one panoramic image.
- Look closely along the Yellow Brick Road, to find the Apple Tree that said “Ouch”, when Dorothy tried to pick an apple off of it.
- Look even closer to find a hidden toucan in the tree that Wicked Witch of the West is hiding behind.
- Thom has hidden 88 dedication hearts to embrace the love of his mother Mary Anne- who celebrated her 88th birthday this year.